Plant Based Diet: How I Budget My Family of Six

For some, making personal changes around food is daunting in and of itself. Add to that the job of feeding an entire family, and it may feel downright impossible. Between picky eaters, demanding schedules, and varying tastes, it’s easy to see how creating family meals that nourish both body and soul seem unattainable. Speaking on a personal level I know that transitioning to a plant-based diet is not always smooth sailing. Here are some tips and lessons I’ve learned to help you feed your family without losing your mind.

Tip One

Make It A Family Affair

Before I begin my menu planning I ask the entire crew to choose a meal for the week. I have four kids so this makes my job much easier. Plus everyone gets to eat at least one meal they truly love. Another reason I Do this is because I’m lazy. I refuse to cook more than one meal. This family affair means we are all in-getting healthy as a whole family unit. 

Tip Two

Keep It Simple

I try to keep the ingredients as simple as possible. Six or less. This way it saves me time.

Tip Three

Cook in Bulk

Usually, Sunday is our largest meal. Therefore I try to cook enough where its a two-day meal. With Sunday and Monday covered. The kids can have at the rest of the week Tuesday-Friday. Saturday is usually a free day to splurge a little-let’s be honest I do have four children. We still eat clean but we are allowed to eat a not so processed food item. For example, my daughter loves to eat loaded mashed potato we usually don’t eat white potatoes. But if she asked for it on Saturday I cook the potatoes and add tons of broccoli, chives, a little cheddar cheese, a dab of sour cream, and sprinkle a little turkey bacon on top. Most other days I try to keep meatless meals. If we do eat meat it’s a very small portions about 2 oz. this is my way of gradually eliminating meat. 

Tip Four

Buy Foods in Bulk

Being that I have a large family of six we buy many of our foods at Sam’s Club. I’ve found this to help out when trying to save and cut down on shopping time. We have a deep freezer so it works for us. I tend to do my menu planning on Sunday-I cook most of my lunches for the week and freeze them. A typical lunch for me is 

Option 1:
Smart Protein: 2 oz. Grilled Turkey Patty
Smart Fiber: Steamed Broccoli
Smart Carb: Sweet Potato 

Option 2:
Smart Protein: Black Beans
Smart Fiber: Frozen pack of Steamed Zesty Corn 
Smart Carb: Quinoa 

Snack
Fruit Smoothie
So Delicious Brand Nondairy Raspberry Yogurt 


Tip Five

Grow Your own Food

Now, I must admit this is easier said than done. My grandfather has a garden so when we visit Florida I load up on greens, peas, tomatoes, peppers, and cabbage.  I have begun to save the bottoms of my green onions. I place them in a cup with water and they just begin to regrow on their own. This saves me money because I add green onions and garlic to almost all my meals. As of this summer, I’m currently growing three fruit trees an apple, pear, and peach. Well, we will see how that turns out in this Georgia clay. Maybe I can come back in post a “nailed it” post for fruit trees:) We’ll see!

Things I always keep on hand.
       •  Instant brown rice
       • Canned black beans (unsalted)
• Canned tomato products (unsalted)
• Intact whole grains (quinoa, kasha/buckwheat, oats)
• Whole wheat pasta (Gluten Free or whole grain corn pasta or brown rice pasta)
• Frozen vegetables
• Frozen soups
• Frozen fruit
• Dried fruit (for baking and seasoning)
• Almond butter
• Raw almonds
• Salt-free spice mixes

Be Inspired to Live a Healthy Lifestyle
Warrior Chic

XOXO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lonely Life Of a Trucker's Wife

JAMIE EASON'S LIVEFIT TRAINER YOUR 12-WEEK TRANSFORMATION PLAN!

Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer - Phase 3